Decorating for the holidays is always fun and festive, but many forget how easily your pet can be injured by these decorations. It’s vital to keep in mind what the potential dangers to your pets may be and how it can be avoided.
- Your Christmas Tree – Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall over, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he imbibe.
- Avoid Mistletoe and Holly – Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
- Tinsel – Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching “toy” that’s easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.
- Holiday Candles – Don’t leave lit candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out!
- Wires, wires, and more wires – Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.
Looking for a Dog Sitter or Walker in Northwest Philadelphia this winter? Top Tails is the answer!
It being so cold outside, it’s hard to make sure that your pet is receiving the exercise and care that they need. But with TOP TAILS® Dog Walking & Pet Sitting, you can be sure that your furry friend is getting the best care and attention during the day, while also ensuring that they are happy and healthy this winter season. When you can’t be home to do it yourself, TOP TAILS® makes sure that your pup gets the regular exercise and proper care they need! By hiring TOP TAILS® for pet care in Philadelphia, you’ll be able to rest assured that your dog, cat or small animal is in good hands while you’re away. You can always trust that our team members will provide your furry family members with the best care because they are trained and experienced in meeting all of your pets’ needs.
If you’re interested in trying out TOP TAILS® Dog Walking & Pet Sitting’s pet concierge, vacation, or dog walking services, visit our website now or call 215-508-1903 to speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable Philadelphia pet care providers. We can answer any questions you have and show you what makes TOP TAILS® the place for pet care Philadelphia residents trust!