During the hottest periods of the year, it is very important to stay hydrated and cool, both for you and your furry friend! Being that Heat Stroke is a real danger, (a study at a Hebrew University found out that half of canines who get it won’t survive), you want to make sure your dog stays away from the risk.
Heat Stroke, a consequence of Hyperthermia, is an elevation of the body temperature above the standard (106° F, 40° C) and can lead to multiple organs’ dysfunction, which in turn can cause serious injuries and even death. High temperatures are not the only causes that can lead to Heat Stroke: humidity and a lot of exercise during the hottest hours of the day can have serious consequences as well.
Although it could be hard at times to understand if your loved one is ok, or if his body temperature is a little too high, there are some ways to determine the level of his well-being.
The mains signs of an overheated dog are (listed from the least- to the most-dangerous):
- Vigorous panting
Luckily, most heat strokes can be avoided by paying some little extra attention. One way to avoid heat stroke is to walk your dog during the early hours of the day or late afternoon. In doing this, your dog can exercise while also avoiding the risk of an elevating body temperature. Always remember to bring some cool water with you!
But when your dog needs some extra energy-burning activities when the heat is high, here are some suggestions of fun and cooling devices, toys, and treats that can help keep your dog cool and happy:
- Cooling pads: Give your little friend a cool place to relax! The belly is one of the most important areas of the body to keep cool, and these nice and colorful pads are the perfect go-to item for summer!
- Cooling collar: Very useful, these unique collars can act as an extra cooling element while they’re running about in the heat. Additionally, a collar is something your pup wears flush up against their skin, so you can rest easy knowing there’s a cooling device always on them.
- Cooling toy: Your pup can have a blast while also regulating their body temperature by getting a cooling toy that they can play with!
- Treats that are high in waters: One tasty way to cool your pup down is by giving them a cooling, icy treat! Freezing ice cubes with yummy snacks in them (try carrots or watermelon) can help to cool their temperature from the inside as well. You can even freeze their favorite water-proof toys in a large tub for some extra fun!
- Kiddie pool: Kiddie pools are great ways to let your dog run and pounce in the sun while also making sure they don’t overheat. Having a small kiddie pool in the yard so they can play in the water is the perfect idea to ensure his body temperature is regulated.
- Doggie Boots: Although doggie boots do not technically cool a pup down, they do serve an essential purpose during the hot summer months. Since heat builds on the ground, especially on surfaces like cement and asphalt, dog can have a difficult time walks on those hot summer days. In fact, there have been some cases when pups end up severely burning their pads due to the heat levels on the ground during their walks. Therefore, it is incredibly important to make sure their feet are protected while outside.
Looking for the perfect Summer Dog Walker? Look no further than Top Tails!
When the heat outside is high, it’s hard to make sure that your pet is receiving the exercise and care that they need. But with TOP TAILS® Dog Walking & Pet Sitting, you can be sure that your furry friend is getting the best care and attention during the day, while also ensuring that they are happy and healthy in the blazing summer heat. When you can’t be home to do it yourself, TOP TAILS® makes sure that your pup gets the regular exercise and proper care they need! By hiring TOP TAILS® for pet care in Philadelphia, you’ll be able to rest assured that your dog, cat or small animal is in good hands while you’re away. You can always trust that our team members will provide your furry family members with the best care because they are trained and experienced in meeting all of your pets’ needs.
If you’re interested in trying out TOP TAILS® Dog Walking & Pet Sitting’s pet concierge, vacation, or dog walking services, visit our website now or call 215-508-1903 to speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable Philadelphia pet care providers. We can answer any questions you have and show you what makes TOP TAILS® the place for pet care Philadelphia residents trust!