Every year, National Pet Month occurs in May to remind people just how important it is to take care of and appreciate pets. At Top Tails Dog Walking & Pet Sitting, we’re in full support of this annual occasion and the goals that it promotes. Here are a few things to keep in mind throughout this month and all year round:
Owning Pets is Extremely Beneficial
Pets offer countless benefits for one’s emotional and physical health. Scientific studies have proven that having a cat, dog, or other animal can improve one’s life in all of the following ways:
- Pets encourage you to get outside and be active, which is great for decreasing stress.
- Furry friends are a source of unconditional love that combats loneliness.
- According to recent studies, pets are useful for lowering blood pressure and heart rate due to their calming effects.
- Pets can help you make friends, as people are more likely to approach you if you’re walking a dog or holding a cat.
Pet Adoption is a Wonderful Way to Make a Difference
Adopting a pet offers many perks. Here are just a few of them:
- You’ll save a lot of money when you choose to adopt. These animals are usually spayed or neutered and vaccinated, meaning that you won’t have to pay the vet for these procedures.
- When you choose to adopt a pet, you’ll know that it is healthy. Also, you won’t be supporting inhumane puppy mills.
- You’ll have a huge selection of breeds to choose from at a shelter or adoption agency, meaning you’ll be more likely to find the perfect companion.
- Most importantly, you’ll greatly increase the animal’s quality of life. You may even save it from being euthanized.
If you’d like to take advantage of all of these benefits, consider visiting the Montgomery County SPCA and adopting your own furry friend.
Service Animals Make Amazing Contributions to Our Society
Though some people don’t realize it, pets are good for far more than just enjoyment. Service animals work every day to help people with disabilities live easier lives. Guide dogs provide companionship and assistance to the visually impaired, and search and rescue dogs work hard to find and save the lives of missing or injured people. In addition, other animals such as monkeys are used to help people with spinal cord injuries and other ailments.
Overall, animals—specifically pets—are wonderful and should be treated accordingly. If you have a pet, make sure that you’re taking proper care of it. When you don’t have time to give your pet the attention it deserves, hire us to do it for you. As a trusted Manyunk pet sitter, we offer affordable pet care to fit any schedule.
Also, make sure you check out our blog to find out more about National Pet Month and to read about how to help your dog beat the summer heat. Thanks for your time!